Exam Board: AQA
The aims of the course are as follows:
- awareness of the elements of textile design, such as shape, line, scale, colour, texture, pattern, contrast and/or repetition in relation to the chosen area(s) of textile design.
- awareness of intended audience or purpose for students’ chosen area(s) of textile design.
- ability to respond to an issue, concept or idea, working to a brief or answering a need in the chosen area(s) of textile design.
- appreciation of the relationship of form and function and, where applicable, the constraints of working to a brief.
- understanding of a variety of textile methods, such as: fabric printing, mono-printing, relief printing, screen printing and laser printing; tie-dye and batik; spraying and transfer; fabric construction; stitching, appliqué, patchwork, padding, quilting and embroidery.
Students should have Grade 4 or higher in GCSE English, or the equivalent grade/mark in their national system of secondary education and Grade 6 in GCSE Art or equivalent drawing and painting ability.