Padworth College was established in 1963 by an Oxford university professor, Peter Fison, who aimed to bring international style tutorial teaching methods to school-level education. Originally a sixth form boarding house school for girls, Padworth was highly unusual, with no uniform, but afternoon tea and formal dinners being very much part of the school day!
Padworth College welcomed boys for the first time in 2005 and has remained co-educational since. We celebrated our 50th anniversary in 2013, welcoming back many alumni, with food from around the world, a student and staff led concert and a fantastic firework display.
For most of its history, the College was managed by a charity – Padworth College Trust Ltd – but became part of Inspiring Futures Education in October 2018. The charity, now called Padworth Educational Trust Ltd, continues to be involved with the College, funding bursaries for both British and international students.
The College is based in Padworth House, which probably occupies the site of the old manor house of the Coudrays, who had been lords of the manor since the 13th Century. Peter Coudray died in 1528 and his daughters sold the property to the Littlefields, who were parliamentarians. living at Padworth during the troubled times of the English Civil War. In 1655, the property was purchased by Thomas Brightwell, a London merchant and Governor of St. Thomas’ Hospital. His descendants and relatives lived there well into the 20th Century. Given its past, Padworth is considered to be of significant historical interest, with the buildings afforded Grade 2* listed status in 1951.