Exam Board: AQA
The aims of the course are as follows:
- Help students improve drawing skills, painting and mixed media techniques and develop these according to the student’s potential.
- Encourage students to use their knowledge of artists’ paintings and art theory to explain and expand their own ideas.
- Provide students with the confidence and skills needed to develop their own ideas effectively using a range of media
Students should have Grade 4 or higher in GCSE English, or the equivalent grade/mark in their national system of secondary education and Grade 6 in GCSE Art or equivalent drawing and painting ability.
This is a practical subject focused on drawing, painting and mixed media. Students may also produce work in three dimensions. Students will be encouraged to gain skills and use their knowledge to expand their own creative ideas. Researching and analysing the work of artists is also an important part of the course.
- Drawing and recording from observation.
- Researching and understanding works of art.
- Developing own ideas in a range of media.
- Producing final artwork.
Same as for Year 1, plus:
- Written analysis for a personal art project of between 1,000 – 3,000 words with artwork.
- Completed personal art work project.
- Exam project.
- Personal project with written work.
- Exam project.
Careers and Opportunities
The individual elements of the Fine Art course give students the chance to decide whether they would like to pursue a career in fine art, architecture, museum curation or teaching art and design. More holistically, the subject should equip students with the skills that they need in later life to apply creative ideas and artistic skills.